NEWS — Rammed vessel Ady Gil sinks


On January 8, 2010 at 17:20 (GMT) the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society vessel Bob Barker 

reported the last known position of another Sea Shepherd vessel, the
Ady Gil, to the Australian Rescue Coordination Center (ARCC).

“This report was made because the Ady Gil — which was originally going to be towed to a nearby base — is now sinking and could pose a navigation hazard for the next two to three hours,” said Sea Shepherd, which subsequently confirmed that its high-tech boat had sunk.

In June 2008, the 24m Ady Gil , when formerly known as Earthrace, claimed the
record as the fastest powerboat to the circumnavigate the planet in 60 days 23 hours 49 minutes, and under bio-diesel power.

“Having barely survived a vicious attack by the illegal Japanese whaling vessel Shonan Maru No. 2 on January 6, 2010, the Ady Gil began taking on water,” said the conservation group in a press release.

“Since that time, Bob Barker crew members have been working around the clock in an attempt to save the ship and remove possible environmental hazards in case the vessel had further complications while being towed.

“During the final towing attempt, the ropes holding the Ady Gil in place behind the Bob Barker snapped — seemingly the result of water accumulating in the vessel.

“Upon examination, the Ady Gil was found to be approximately 30 per cent submerged, including the engineroom and main fuel tanks. Fortunately, all fuel and lubricants had been removed from the Ady Gil hours earlier.

“The Bob Barker’s call to the ARCC fulfilled Sea Shepherd’s legal reporting requirements for this incident, but not its obligation to protect whales from the illegal Japanese fleet that is killing whales illegally in the Southern Ocean Whale Sanctuary,” said Sea Shepherd.

The Bob Barker, it said, will now rejoin the Steve Irwin in pursuit of the whaling fleet to continue defending the whales.

Investigations into the Ady Gil ramming have been launched by New Zealand, Australia and Japan. Ady Gil is a registered New Zealand vessel and the primary investigation will be undertaken by Maritime New Zealand.